Saturday, September 24, 2011

A Dutch Colonial Facelift

Oh Hello!

There is a street in Springfield, Illinois that is reminiscent of a Midwest Americana painting. Strolling down the street I saw beautiful two-story homes, manicured yards and gained a since of history and elegance.  I’m lucky enough to know one of the owners of these fabulous houses!  Val and Bill allowed me to snoop around their beautiful home.  While on my tour, I had three companions Waldo, Eddie and Two-Dots, their dog and two cats.  (The story of how they got them is a blog within itself.) They watched and followed me during the tour to be sure I was trustworthy. 


 My first impression was “wow!”  While walking up to the beautiful front door I noticed that this is a grand home with character and history.  The house is very welcoming and warm.  I especially loved the bell at the front door!


This particular house was built in the 1920’s.  It has 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, kitchen, dining room, living room, sun room and office (opposite sun room); it also has a maid quarters as well as detached garage.  My friends have copies of original photos as well as historical documentation. Apparently the two sunrooms (on both sides of the house) used to be open-aired porches.  Besides that the architectural integrity has been sustained.  The broad gambrel roof line with the distinct flaring eaves is “picture perfect” of Dutch Colonial (Revival) of the early 20th century.


The house was bought at an auction-It was a steal!  They are now in the intense process of remodeling the entire house.  They are only about half way through the remodel.  You may notice on some the photos that there is still glue from the old fashioned wall paper that was there from the previous owners; to my understanding these folks wall-papered nearly every surface in the house!

Since my visit they actually have almost completed the 2 back bedrooms, including new hardwood floors and windows.  They are now getting ready to have the woodwork stripped and repainted this winter and hopefully be done by spring.  The next major project is the kitchen!  I think I’m going to have to go back and blog about the house again once the entire remodel is done.

I love this home.  It is full of character and charm! I’m inspired by the home and my friend’s dedication to preserving this house. Kudos and keep up the great work!






 

 
 
 

 Good Day
--D Charles

No comments:

Post a Comment