Sunday, June 24, 2012

A Vintage Safari...Pack your Bags!

Oh hello!

I love being on the "hunt" for treasures.  My Safari for this weekend led me deep into the jungles of two great antiques stores in my neighborhood.

My adventure began in the amazing Broken Buckle Antique store in the lower level of the Landmark.  I love visiting my friends at the Broken Buckle.  Always welcoming me with a smile and a sincere "How are you?"   For this Safari they played tour guide and showed me and my friend one of their new finds they just added to their inventory.

Quickly walking through the store, only slowing down a few times to allow my eyes to hunt, they showed us the prize of the day, well...prizes!  An amazing set of vintage luggage was set before us...saying "Lets go!!"  These three pieces were wonderful.  The condition was good and ideas of what I could do with them danced in my head.  One of them had a surprise inside for me!  The largest piece had clothes hangers inside for your shirts/dresses! It also included the original tissue paper (to wrap your garments) and the original brochure!  The silk liner was in perfect condition as well!


After a little price negotiation my friend and I had luggage in hand heading to the apartment.  Originally I thought of using them as a side table, however while entering the foyer I had a great idea!  The three pieces now set in the entry way! I added a vintage New York map, added some flowers and now I have an entry way vignette to welcome guests.  I'm tempted for the my next trip to actually use this amazing luggage!



The second half of my weekend Safari led me to the "Flea Market" style of Brownstone Antiques.  This store is truly a jungle of vintage furniture, paintings, accessories and clothes. Down every path through the merchandise my eyes searched for the perfect piece.  I discovered a great little school desk that I just fell in love with.  It needs some cleaning and sanding, but after a make over this will be a great piece for the home. Do you have any ideas?  Should I paint it a funky color or stain it a beautiful dark mahogany?  Hmm... decisions!  

Good day!
--D. Charles

1 comment:

  1. What you're saying is completely true. I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I'm sure you'll reach so many people with what you've got to say.

    ReplyDelete